This is also where you come to get Mr. Jones' Weekly Cut (a new mix or blend by DJ 2-Tone Jones every week!)
A true fundamentals DJ, 2-Tone Jones speaks with his hands as in the tradition of Hip-Hop’s founding element, and through his bottomless crates has rocked parties across the US and even overseas in Europe and South Africa. On the performance side 2-Tone has shared the stage, and spun alongside, the likes of Brand Nubian, Raekwon, Algebra Blessett, Kendrick Lamar, Large Professor, Raheem DeVaughn, Jabba (HHP), Oddisee, Camp Lo, Tracey Lee, Unspoken Heard (Asheru & Blue Black) and harmonica virtuoso Frederic Yonnet. He was also the DJ-in-residence and artist for Shaman Work Recordings, an independent Hip-Hop music label whose roster included CL Smooth, MF Doom, Wale Oyejide, John Robinson, Scienz of Life, and others.
Along with a handful of D.C.’s most talented visual artists, Mr. Jones is a founding member of a cutting-edge art troupe/marketing group known as AM Radio: Artwork Mbilashaka. Their client list has included Adidas, Heineken, Toyota, Current TV and Timberland. He is also a founding member of the Diamond Cutterz, a crew of elite DJ’s from around the DC-metro area. Most recently 2-Tone Jones teamed up with long-time friend and tastemaker, Gerald Watson, to create Shaolin Jazz: The 37th Chamber; a mix project that involves Jazz fused with verses and samples from the Wu-Tang Clan. To date, the project has received rave reviews from Okayplayer, NPR, Hypebeast and The Washington City Paper.
GENRES (frequently played)
Hip-Hop | Classic Soul | Mainstream/Top 40 Pop/R&B | House Afro-Beat | Classic Rock | Reggae | Downtempo/Lounge | Jazz Funk | Go-Go | Neo Soul
CURRENT DJ RESIDENCIES
- Ill Street Grooves on Decipher, a progressive Hip-Hop radio show Mondays from 10-11pm on WPFW 89.3 FM in DC. Past on-air guests include Souls of Mischief, Naughty by Nature, Monie Love, Devin the Dude, Mobb Deep, Show & AG, Brand Nubian, Fat Joe, and many more.
- Friday Night Lights; Hip-Hop, R&B, Reggae, Breaks and whatever else feels good every Friday night at Tap & Parlour in DC.
- Stone Soul Saturdays, Classic Soul, Rare Grooves and Breaks every 3rd Saturday at Boundary Stone in DC.
- Up and Up Open Mic Night, every 2nd and 4th Tuesdays @ Liv Nightclub in DC.
PAST (notable) DJ RESIDENCIES
- Resident DJ at The W Hotel (DC) in the POV Lounge, on the rooftop Terrace and in the Living Room on the ground floor at least twice a week. Played a mixture of mainstream/top 40, House, Hip-Hop, Downtempo, and Soul music. Became the most requested DJ in the rotation for other special events including weddings, employee appreciation parties, corporate functions and art exhibitions. (Fall 2009-Fall 2011)
- SOUND of the CITY Thursdays; a live, musical experience conceived in the essence of Chocolate City soul, jazz and hip-hop. Thursday nights at the Bohemian Caverns in DC. (Fall 2007-Spring 2009)
- Versus Series; a themed-monthly party with DJ Roddy Rod (King RJ), guest DJs, video-mixing, and live art at various venues in DC and at Sutra Lounge in NYC. (Spring 2009-Spring 2010)
- Performed on stage at events such as the Essence Festival (Coca-Cola Stage), Rock the Bells (main stage), SXSW (BET Showcase), and the Lighting of the City Lights Festival in Cape Town, South Africa (over 60,000 people in attendance).
- Became the 1st DJ to ever headline at Blues Alley in DC (the longest standing jazz supper club in the country) on June 25, 2012.
- Was the 1st artist featured for DC Shoes’ Make No!se lifestyle series to help promote their Life Collection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIZbM11rf8).
- Served as the event DJ for Heineken’s Red Star Soul Art Series at various clubs and venues in Philadelphia, NY and DC.
- Guest lecturer at major universities across the country including Boston College, Tulane University, Temple University, UVA and others on the subject of the musically and cultural parallels between Jazz and Hip-Hop.
For booking inquires send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.